Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Day -37: More Testing

Our day of testing started of with Juan in tears, crouched on the floor trying to excavate the mess that is his desk to find the first four paragraphs of his biography of Jane Goodall. They were nowhere to be found, and the thought of redoing them (not that I had said anything to him about redoing them) made him despondent. Having one of my star students start out the testing session bawling was not the best beginning. I showed him an article about Jane Goodall in the Science Times that I had brought in, and that managed to cheer him up in the nick of time.

Yesterday, I noticed that Ramiro, a super-bright, inquistive kid with the longest eyelashes ever and an obsession with World War II, was on #6 while everyone else was already on #30 or so. He's always like that, though, so I didn't worry too much; his first grade teacher called him her tortuga. Then I noticed him at the sink a few minutes later, rubbing his hand vigorously with soap. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm washing my hands."

Umm, yeah. "Why is there black ink all over them?"

"I was tracing the veins on the back of my hands with Sharpie."

Yep, state standardized testing is the perfect time to do that. He did eventually focus and I bet did pretty well. I was actually proud of my students for their effort overall.

Maria update: She's not moving to Mexico yet, at least not this week. The latest word is that her family is going to save up money to buy the house next to their relatives' house in Mexico, plus they're going to let her sister finish high school here. That means they might move at the end of the 2007-2008 school year. We'll see if that version of the plan holds.

No comments: